This board is under development
The Game Boy DMG USB-C Charging Kit PRO is a new circuit designed specifically for the Nintendo Game Boy. This all-in-one circuit includes not only the charging controller but also a boost converter and audio amplifier.
The modern IPS displays with backlighting require more power than the original display, and flash cards used to load tons of games can quickly drain the battery. To truly enjoy the games, it is recommended to use a rechargeable battery instead of AA batteries.
However, simply using a rechargeable battery is not sufficient. The increased power consumption puts a strain on the original electronics, potentially causing noise in the speaker or headphones.
The typical solution is to add a charging circuit for the battery and a power converter to replace the old, inefficient one included in the GB. Some individuals also add an audio amplifier to enhance the sound quality of the speaker. All these modifications make the GB function optimally. However, installing them requires numerous cables and may be challenging for individuals without sufficient knowledge.
This board adds all these features with a clean and straightforward installation:
- Exact shape for Game Boy DMG.
- External power through USB-C. (1)
- Compatibility with all types of USB cables or external batteries.
- Li-Ion battery charger with overvoltage and undervoltage protection. (1)
- Power DC converter of 5V output. (2)
- Safe charge and play.
- Audio amplifier for the speaker which amplify both channels.
- Integrated LED indicators on the main board for charging battery (red) and full battery (green). It can be disabled by the jumper SJ1.
- External LED indicators board for playing (white), charging battery (red) and full battery (green). Optional installation.
(1) The USB-C and li-ion battery require trimming of the shell.
(2) Provides stable power to your Game Boy, IPS screen, and flash card. However, it doesn’t supply the -19v rail, which means the original screen cannot be used.
- 1 frame panel which includes the three boards:
- Main board.
- USB-C board.
- Light board.
- 1 Battery cable (with connector JST SH1.0 2P)
- 1 Audio cable (with connector JST 1.25 2P)
- 1 Speaker cable (with connector JST 1.25 2P)
- 1 Light board cable (with connector JST 1.25 2P)
- 1 Power cable (with connector JST 1.25 6P)
- 1 Header of 3pins.
- 1 Plastic holder for USB-C board.
- 1 Light diffuser pipe.
REQUIRED (NOT INCLUDED)
- Li-ion battery (for example TODO)
- New speaker 8Ω 1W (optional but highly recommended to avoid noise, for example this one)
- New capacitors (optional but recommended to avoid noise)
- Tri-wing sand phillips screwdriver
- Cutting plier
- Tin soldering iron
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Installation Guide PDF
- GitHub repository